Type 2s are easily identified as Americans by the intensity of their efforts not to appear American. This inevitably results in their wearing the Uniform of Americans Who Do Not Wish to Appear To Be American. Look for:
- Scarves that vaguely invoke India, or, better, Nepal
- Things tied around their wrists
- Jingly or peacock-feather earrings, felted necklaces, squashy hats, sack-like purses, and other accoutrement calculated to look both "ethnic" and not like evil rich people
- Notable, edgy, or ironic hair (could be located on the scalp, face, or other body part depending on gender)
- Facial piercings and, in general, more tattoos than Type 1s
- Sandals, Eastern-ish looking slippers, or sneakers you cannot do athletic activities in.
Type 2s will be extremely friendly and always make an effort to speak the native language. This will help them to get your life story so they can post it on their travel blog tonight. They generally know about the tough realities of life, such as trying to travel around the world without a job for three years when your parents only renew your allowance once a month. To prove it, they will eagerly open up about personal financial details like paying rent, shopping in thrift stores, and doing all those other charming and romantic things that poor people do. Look for them trolling for the authentic Italian experience by sharing a joint with local communists, grovelling for an invite to an occupied book store, and asking enthusiastic questions about socialised healthcare.